As of version 8.5, Shop-Script offers a store owner the “Marketing” section in its backend. That section contains various tools to manage special offers, promo campaigns, and other marketing-related actions you might want to take to improve your sales.
The main content of the “Marketing” section is a list of promos.
A promo constitutes a set of tools to tweak the behavior of various parts of your online store. Some examples of promo tools are a discount for a certain set of products, discount coupons, etc.
You can use one or multiple tools within each promo. For instance, a promo might simply show a banner on the home page and do nothing else. You can use such a simple promo to attract visitors' attention to some piece of information. A promo might also temporarily assign special prices to some products. Or only register Internet traffic with certain UTM tag values. Or also use all of these and other opportunities in various combinations.
A promo can be either time-limited or be valid during an unlimited period of time. If you want to set a time limit, enter a start and an end date and time. When when these values are specified, they take into account the time settings valid on the server.
A promo’s logic is defined by the selected set of tools. Each promo can have its own combination of various tools from the following list:
- Banner. This tool allows you to show a promo card, or a slider image, in the storefront home page, with any text or hyperlink.
- Products & prices. Add this tool to select products which must have special prices during the promo period. Actually participating will be only the products for which specify special prices in promo settings.
- UTM tags. Add this tool to count visitors coming to your storefronts via links from various sources and place orders, if those links contain special parameters that you have saved in promo settings.
- Coupons. Select certain discount coupons whose use during checkout will make corresponding orders counted as placed within this promo campaign.
- Installed plugins for Shop-Script might add more useful tools for promo setup.
A banner is a promo card that is supposed to be shown in the storefront—either a simple image block, or a slider on the home page, being a link to direct visitors to an advertized page. Promo cards’ appearance may be different, depending on a currently used design theme and its settings.
A simple example of promo cards displayed by standard design theme “Default 3.0”:
Set up the properties of a promo card in “Banner” field in the “Banner” tool settings:
- upload an image file
- enter a title and a subtitle, which might be displayed differently depending on your design theme
- enter a link to an advertized page
- specify the text and background color
- enable the “Countdown” checkbox if you want the promo card to show how much time exactly is left until the expiration time of your special offer; and the countdown period can be different from the overall promo’s period.
“Products & prices” tool
Use this tool toselect individual products and SKUs to be included in a promo. You may do so, for instance, to offer your visitors special prices or to track those products’ sales with certain UTM tags, discount coupons, and other tools enabled by means of plugins.
You can disable selected SKUs of each product which you do not want to participate in a promo. If you disable no SKUs, then all SKUs of an added product will be included in a promo.
Each SKU can be assigned a special price during the promo validity period—either until its termination date and time, or until you terminate it manually. You can assign both a sales price and a strike through price.
UTM tags denote additional parameters in your storefront URL, by which you can determine the source of Internet traffic for placed orders. For example, you may launch a context ad campaign with a search system and save your storefront’s URL with additional parameters in the ad settings. Those parameters might look as follows:
This done, you can set up a promo in Shop-Script in such a way that it will count all orders from new visitors who will come to your storefront exactly by that ad’s link. You will the list of such order under the “Orders” tab on the promo-viewing page in Shop-Script’s “Marketing” section.
It is up to you to define which exactly parameters in a link URL Shop-Script will register. To do so, save the desired parameter values in the provided fields for the “UTM tags” tool.
Internet users may come to your website via links with different UTM tags. Some of them may use a link in your context search ad, others may follow a link that you might have published in a social media. It is recommended to use different sets of UTM parameters for links published in different sources. You will then be able to tell the sources of your visitors’ traffic apart using different UTM parameters’ values saved in several promos’ settings.
A promo can register orders matching any of several available UTM tag values. For example, a promo can count orders from visitor who have come to your website either from Google or from Bing search results pages. To set this up, save several values for a UTM tag, and a promo will work with any of them.
A customer may come to your online store several times from an external website, each time by a link with different UTM tags. The first visit might occur via a link from a context ad, and the second time a visitor might use a link from a social media. In this example, Shop-Script will count only the latest of the two visits, i.e. only social media link’s UTM tags will be read by a promo.
On a promo-viewing page, you can see the list of all orders placed by customers who have used a certain promo. For example, if you have several discount coupons set selected in a promo’s settings, then you will all orders with those coupons applied.
Above the order list there is a brief statistical summary about the total number of registered order within this promo and the number of paid orders.
During a promo campaign, you may have various expenses. For example, you might need to pay context ads, and a promo will register orders from customers who will come to your storefront via a ad’s link with certain UTM tags. Or you might order custom design for a banner to be displayed while a promo is valid. You can, and it is recommended to, save all such expenses under the “Costs” tab on a promo-viewing page.
It is a good practice to register your expenses there as it will help you analyze how efficient each promo has been. You can view this information in the “Reports” section.
Adding a new promo
Click “New promo”.
- Keep status “Running” if you want a promo to become active immediately after saving. Or switch the status to “Stopped” if you want to save a new promo as a draft first to decide later when it should be started.
- Specify a date and time of a promo start and end if you want to schedule the promo’s functioning period. If you have completed those values, then a promo will start and end exactly at the specified times on specified dates.
- Select a storefront on which a promo will be active.
- Change the settings of a banner, or promo card, to be displayed on the home pages of selected storefronts during a promo period.
- Select promo tools.
Done! A promo becomes active immediately after saving, if status “Stopped” was not selected. If a start date and time have been saved, then a promo start as specified.
Once a promo has been started, all its tools begin to work, i.e. special prices get applied for products, and orders with selected discount coupons applied and orders from customer visiting your storefronts via links with UTM tags are being counted.
Promo viewing & editing
To view a promo, click its name in the promo list.
On the promo-viewing page, you can change and save any parameters of a selected promo.
Adding marketing cost entries
- Open a promo-viewing page and click “Add entry”.
- Enter an amount in your store’s primary currency.
- The current promo will be selected by default as a sales channel. If necessary, select a different channel.
- To the right of the channel selection list, select a color to show this entry in the common marketing costs chart.
- Select a storefront this new costs entry should be associated with.
- Selected a period of time with which this spending needs to be connected—a single date or a period between two dates.
- Enter an description for yourself to be able to understand in the future what you have spent this amount for.
- Save the entry.
You can also add such entries via the “Marketing costs” link in the sidebar. When doing so, you need to manually select a sales channel to which a new entry should belong.
This common page “Marketing costs” also shows the information about all entries ever made for all your promos.
Quick adding of new promos from templates
If you need to create several similar promos, it is convenient to do so using the “Add a new promo based on this one” link available on any promo-viewing page.
This link creates an identical copy of a selected promo with the only exception that the copy’s status is “Stopped” by default so that you can change its settings first and then decide when you want to start it.
Deleting a promo
If you are sure that do not need a promo any more, then you can delete it. To do so, open a promo-viewing page and click the “Delete promo” link.
Upon the promo deletion, any information associated with it will also be removed from the “Reports” section.
Promo list filter
All your promos may be each in a different status. Some may be running, others may be scheduled for a future time, and there may also be those which have already finished. If you have quite a few promos, it is easier to find a certain one if you can view only running or only schedule, or only finished promos as separate lists. To do so, use promo list filter links.
Installed plugin for Shop-Script may add more filters for convenient navigation across promos.
Other marketing tools
Apart from promos, you can manage other marketing tools in the “Marketing” section:
In the “Marketing” section are also available the settings of other use full features, which can help improve sales. You will find the in the “Settings” block:
This block will be available only if you have administrative access rights or if access to marketing tools settings is enabled in your access rights permissions.
Access rights setup
If you have upgraded Shop-Script to 8.5 from a previous version, then you need to set up access rights from the “Marketing” section for those on your team who need to work with marketing tools. You can allow only the use of marketing tools or also access to their settings.
Users with the administrative access level will see the new section’s link in their backends without additional access rights setup.
“Marketing” section’s development roadmap
The “Marketing” section’s functionality will be extended in Shop-Script’s upcoming updates:
- Bulk editing of product prices for the “Products & prices” tool.
- Use of banners on different website pages as an addition to promo cards and sliders displayed on the home page. Most probably, this new option will need special support from design themes.